Friday, December 12, 2008

New Member

Jean just invited me to the site and I'm taking this opportunity to introduce myself.

Personally, I live and work in Acton, MA, USA as an Electrical Engineer for a company called Haartz Corporation. (www.haartz.com) Some of you may recognize the name because about 5% of our business is the manufacture of SeaMark. Fatinha & I have two kids, Alison and William.

Nautically, I cut my teeth sailing with my Dad on the Chesapeake on his friend’s cat boat. Navigation was a compass and RDF. After marriage, we would sponge off the generosity of friends. Finally about 6 years ago (and kids out of the house), Fatinha said we needed our own boat! (Am I lucky or what?)

Within a year, we found BORKA, a ’79, 33’ Westerly Ketch. We have been sailing Boston and the Massachusetts Bay every since. We found a marina in the center of Boston and commute every weekend to be on her. During the winter, she has an Espar heater that keeps us toasty warm as we watch movies and enjoy the solitude. Basically we have a condo on the waterfront.

About a year ago, Fatinha announced that we had outgrown Borka and we needed a bigger boat. (Now this is beyond luck, I’m just down right blessed!) In the fall we found a 42’ Vagabond in New London, CT and ended up making an offer that was not accepted. However, we now had the monkey on our back. All boats we have looked at are now compared to the Vagabond and unless we could spend twice as much, none compare.

At this point I consider myself an associate member of this Blog. Fatinha and I are indebted to Allen and Jean for their most generous help in our search. If any others have any suggestions or knowledge of a Vagabond 42’ that needs a new and loving owner, I’d much appreciate the lead.

I look forward to participating with this site in the future.

No comments: