Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bow Thruster

Hi Folks,

Kris and Valaint M here - hope you are all well.

I'm just back from Seville in Spain. I have had a quickly worsening trouble with my HURTH HBW 220 gearbox as fitted to a Lehman 2200 4 cyl engine - in engaging forwards - well often she won't do it - much wailing and knashing of teeth as well as throwing emergency kedge anchors!! Big drama in the marinas - I feel I now need a bow thruster...

Anyone know why this happens? Reverse has a very positive poition, as does neutral but forward is totally loose with no positive idication of when it is in gear. I have changed all the linkages etc but thought I'd share the problem and see if you guys knew.

Also has anyone fitted a bow thruster in their boat - love to talk and share notes as being a single hander I am beginning to think I need one

Very best

Kris

1 comment:

Todd and Phyllis said...

Wow, what you need is a new transmission!

We had similar problem with our Hurth/Perkins. The clutch plates wore away and had no grab. New transmission = no problems!

Considered a bow thruster at first, but we found we had great manueverablility just using our 3 blade maxiprop. The blades reverse making backing almost as easy as forward.

Good luck on your transmission...

Cheers!
Todd & Phyllis Thomas
s/v Toucan Share - V42